Welcome! I'm Emily, a Licensed, Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist focusing on Mindful Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). In 2006, I found myself on a Zen Buddhist meditation retreat while studying abroad in Japan. Back then, I was an art student in search for deeper personal and professional meaning. I had always been identified as a "helper" and had an interest in psychology. Thus, Upon graduating from Pratt Institute, I pursued a Master's Degree in Art Therapy.
At New York University, I studied Art Therapy focusing on integrating mindfulness within the Art Therapy experience. As a graduate Art Therapy Intern, I had the opportunity learn how mindfulness fits into therapy while under the supervision of an Art Therapist who integrated breathwork, guided imagery and meditation into sessions. I witnessed the profound benefits of using a Mindful approach to treat mental health challenges and suffering. Upon graduating, I synthesized my experiences by writing my masters thesis on mindful art making and attachment theory.
Since graduating, I've worked in in-patient, out-patient, intensive day treatment, community and private practice settings. I've had the honor of supporting hundreds of children, adolescents and adults who have struggled with challenges related to: sexuality / gender identity, eating disorders, chemical dependency, incarceration, childhood sexual abuse, domestic violence, those diagnosed with PTSD, Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, Anxiety and those who are chronically suicidal and self-harming.
In 2015, I completed over two-years of intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) training from the Treatment Implementation Collaborative (under the supervision of Dr. Shari Manning, PhD). I then was nominated as an internal DBT Trainer for the State of New York, Office of Mental Health. I also hold training in Mindfulness, meditation, Trauma-Informed Care and other integrative treatment practices.
I currently focus my private practice on treating women (and their partners). I'm honored to be able to provide a comprehensive therapeutic approach that is customized to support your unique path towards healing. Along with my identity as an Art Therapist, I also offer my evolving knowledge as a meditator, artist, nature-enthusiast, fellow empath and human being.
LISTEN TO MY INTERVIEW
- M.A., Art Therapy, New York University
- 2.5-years of intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative with Dr. Shari Manning PhD. *All DBT training from Linehan Board Certified clinicians
- 100+ hours of continuing education focused on: Mindful Psychotherapy, Expressive & Integrative Therapies & Trauma-Informed Care
- Couples & Family Therapy Training:
- Couples & Family Therapy workshops attended at the Ackerman Institute for The Family
- Level 1 Relational Life Therapy (RLT) training with Terry Real, 2018
MINDFULNESS TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Mindfulness meditation retreat experience in Japan & New York
- Completion of an 8-Week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, Mindful Harlem
- Core Mindfulness Skills training as part of intensive DBT Training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative
- 3-years teaching Mindfulness Skills to children and teens
- 5-year personal meditation practice
- NYS Licensed Creative Arts Therapist; #001508
- Nationally Registered & Board Certified Art Therapist; #12-002
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, Linda Garcia-Rose & Associates, New York, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist, Renfrew Center for Eating Disorder Treatment; IOP & Day Treatment Programs, New York, NY
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, New Hope Mental Health Counseling Center, Queens, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, New York City Children's Center; Intensive Day Treatment, Bronx, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, Bronx Psychiatric Center; Transitional Living Residence, Bronx, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Four Winds Hospital; Child, Adolescent & Adult Inpatient Units, Katonah, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services; IHB Day Treatment, Brooklyn, NY
- Art Therapy Volunteer, The Children's Village, Dobbs Ferry, NY