Emily Davenport, M.A., ATR-BC, LCAT
I aim to bring my own curiosity, compassion, vulnerability and authenticity into every therapy session. By doing so, I hope to create a very special space, a sanctuary, to help you welcome whatever comes your way with kindness, curiosity and self-compassion.
When I was five years-old, I started to use art as a form of self-inquiry and expression. I pursued this inquiry through my journey of becoming a Licensed, Registered and Board Certified Art Psychotherapist. I got my first taste of meditation in 2006 while studying abroad in Japan. That experience deeply influenced my focus as an aspiring therapist, and I ended up researching and writing my Maters Thesis on Mindfulness and Attachment Theory.
A few years after graduating with a Master's in Art Therapy from New York University I was accepted into a two-year intensive clinical training program in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). This training, with it's influence on Mindfulness and concrete skills, solidified my passion for connecting 'head' and 'heart' in therapy. Ever since, I've been integrating evidence-based practices with holistic techniques to treat the 'whole' person.
After nearly a decade of in-depth clinical employment experience (see below), I've had the honor of spearheading three Mindfulness-Based Art Therapy programs, supervising aspiring Art Therapists, and was nominated as a clinical trainer for the State of New York. I currently consult for health-focused start up companies and provide workshops, corporate wellness events and trainings.
I offer free phone consultations, accept Aetna & Cigna Insurance (out of network), and offer sliding scale options for private pay clients. Please call (917) 538-2934, or email me using the contact button below so we can talk more about what you're looking for and how I can help. You can also scroll down to learn more about my background and experience.
- M.A., Art Therapy, New York University
- Two-Year intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative with Dr. Shari Manning PhD. *DBT training from Linehan Board Certified clinicians who trained directly with Dr. Marsha Linehan
- 100+ hours of continuing education focused on: Mindful Psychotherapy, Expressive & Integrative Therapies, Trauma-Informed Care and LGBTQ-Informed Care
MINDFULNESS TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Mindfulness meditation retreat experience in Japan & New York
- Completion of an 8-Week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, Mindful Harlem
- Core Mindfulness Skills training as part of intensive DBT Training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative
- 3-years teaching Mindfulness Skills to children and teens
- Personal meditation practice
- NYS Licensed Creative Arts Therapist; #001508
- Nationally Registered & Board Certified Art Therapist; #12-002
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, Linda Garcia-Rose & Associates, New York, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist, Renfrew Center for Eating Disorder Treatment; IOP & Day Treatment Programs, New York, NY
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, New Hope Mental Health Counseling Center, Queens, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, New York City Children's Center; Intensive Day Treatment, Bronx, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, Bronx Psychiatric Center; Transitional Living Residence, Bronx, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Four Winds Hospital; Child, Adolescent & Adult Inpatient Units, Katonah, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services; IHB Day Treatment, Brooklyn, NY
- Art Therapy Volunteer, The Children's Village, Dobbs Ferry, NY