Emily Davenport, M.A., ATR-BC, LCAT
My mission is to help New Yorkers change the story of their emotional health and wellness. I offer accessible solutions to address chronic stress, anxiety, depression, trauma and relationship struggles through integrative psychotherapy.
My interest in exploring holistic approaches opened the door to a myriad of integrative and evidence-based philosophies and modalities, allowing me to study multiple pathways to support healing and growth.
In 2006, I found myself on a Zen Buddhist meditation retreat while studying abroad in Japan. My six-month immersion into the Japanese cultural deeply influenced my path as an artist and aspiring therapist which was particularly inspired by Buddhist philosophy. After returning, I had a strong desire to integrate art and mindfulness into the therapeutic space. I ended up completing my Masters Degree in Art Therapy from New York University and writing my thesis on Mindfulness and Attachment Theory.
I've spent the last decade helping hundreds of clients overcome adverse experiences, crises, and serious emotional health challenges. As you can see below in the experience portion of my bio, in addition to my experience, I've completed two-years of intensive training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and additional training in Mindfulness and Mindfulness-Based Therapies, Family Therapy, Trauma-Informed Care and other integrative treatment practices. Particularly DBT, with it’s emphasis on mindfulness and concrete skills, solidified my passion for connecting ‘head’ and ‘heart’ in therapy.
Along with my identity as a licensed, registered and nationally board certified Art Psychotherapist, I bring with me my background and knowledge as a meditator, artist, nature-enthusiast and fellow empath. Your Mindful Art continues to grow from my ever-evolving personal and professional journey towards health and happiness.
Working with me: I offer free 20-minute phone consultations, accept Aetna & Cigna Insurance (out of network), and offer sliding scale options for private pay clients. I take care of all insurance billing and paperwork so that you don't have to. Please call (917) 538-2934, or email me using the contact button below so we can talk more about what you're looking for and how I can help.
- M.A., Art Therapy, New York University
- Two-Year intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative with Dr. Shari Manning PhD. *DBT training from Linehan Board Certified clinicians who trained directly with Dr. Marsha Linehan
- 100+ hours of continuing education focused on: Mindful Psychotherapy, Expressive & Integrative Therapies, Trauma-Informed Care and Couples and Family Therapy from the Ackerman Institute for The Family
MINDFULNESS TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Mindfulness meditation retreat experience in Japan & New York
- Completion of an 8-Week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, Mindful Harlem
- Core Mindfulness Skills training as part of intensive DBT Training, Treatment Implementation Collaborative
- 3-years teaching Mindfulness Skills to children and teens
- Personal meditation practice
- NYS Licensed Creative Arts Therapist; #001508
- Nationally Registered & Board Certified Art Therapist; #12-002
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, Linda Garcia-Rose & Associates, New York, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist, Renfrew Center for Eating Disorder Treatment; IOP & Day Treatment Programs, New York, NY
- Psychotherapist / Licensed Art Therapist, New Hope Mental Health Counseling Center, Queens, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, New York City Children's Center; Intensive Day Treatment, Bronx, NY
- Licensed Art Therapist / Recreation Therapist, Bronx Psychiatric Center; Transitional Living Residence, Bronx, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Four Winds Hospital; Child, Adolescent & Adult Inpatient Units, Katonah, NY
- Graduate Art Therapy Intern, Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services; IHB Day Treatment, Brooklyn, NY
- Art Therapy Volunteer, The Children's Village, Dobbs Ferry, NY